Nothing draws attention quicker to your pretty face than colorful lips. Crank up your fun look, and slick on a coat of lip color! And if you’re not looking to take the plunge into lipstick, don’t fear: You can get lip glosses and lip balms with a fun bolt of color perfect for any season.
Check out these tips on wearing lip color, and then go find your shade and rock it!
1. Choose the Right Shade We are often drawn to the colors that look best on us. Trust the shades that attract you first, and try it on your lips, not your hands. True reds work best on a pale face, while olive skin calls for brown-reds or mahogany shades. If you have warm skin with golden undertones, go for an orangey or brownish-red. If your skin is cool with pink or bluish undertones, try a pinkish or purplish red.
2. Consider the Season Try a high-gloss, lighter color for sunnier seasons and deeper tones for fall and winter.
3. Get a Lip Pencil in a Similar Shade If you’re wearing lipstick, use a lip pencil to fill in your lips completely. This will give the color extra staying power. Remember to keep the natural line of your lips — trying to make them look fuller will just end up making them look fake!
4. Carefully Apply No matter what you’re using, make sure you’re being precise with the application. Even some bold lip balms (with plenty of popping colors) can get a little messy if you’re not careful. Use a brush to help you “stay in the lines.”
5. Mix to Get it Right If the tube of red lipstick you chose isn't exactly right, try mixing in a little mauve. The pretty fuchsia you create might be exactly the look you want to achieve. Experiment by adding a little brown if the red is a bit too bright for you.
6. Blot If you’re wearing lipstick, separate a tissue into two layers and use one to blot your lips and remove excess lipstick. Still holding the tissue to your lips, brush loose face powder over it. A fine dusting will go through the tissue and set your color.
7. Downplay Your Eyes Keep the rest of your makeup subtle. You don't want your eyes to compete for attention.
8. Paint Your Nails the Same Color Make a statement by embracing your new lip color all the way. Nails of the same shade will be just the touch you need to complete your look.
9. Plan for Touchups Don’t get caught with faded color. Take the lip color with you wherever you go to touch up after eating, drinking or talking for a while. Learn how to wear lipstick and read helpful tips and tricks at BeingGirl.com.