Fitness: 7 Small Steps For a Healthy Lifestyle Whether you play sports, run or dance, there are lots of fun ways to incorporate more exercise into your day to achieve your fitness goals and live a healthy life. Why should you exercise? So you can feel great, live long, ramp up your energy and thrive. Here are some ideas and small steps to develop a successful fitness routine that can help lead you to a healthy lifestyle.
1. Break Your Own Records How many minutes can you jump rope? How many pushups or sit-ups can you do without stopping? How long can you run without stopping? Try to double it! Or set distances, like race trainers do, building up slowly one mile to three miles. Register for a 5K (which is a little over three miles) and find out how you compare to the runners around you. Boost your personal numbers over time, and you’ll feel (and see) a difference in your mood and fitness levels.
2. Set Up a Routine See if you can create a fitness routine and stick to it for one month. Include moves and equipment that allow you to fit the routine into your schedule. Also, don’t make it too difficult or you’ll set yourself up for defeat. Once you’ve got one month down, look to switch up the routine and make it a little more difficult. Add new moves or increase the weight. Have fun with it!
3. Keep an Exercise Diary Write down everything you do when it comes to exercise so you can see your progress in black and white. Be as specific as possible about what you record. When you think, “I feel like I haven’t gotten anywhere!” just look at the proof of your progress right there in your diary. Big sweet tooth? Write down what you eat, too. Sometimes seeing a list of everything you’ve eaten in a day helps you realize you should start to incorporate more healthy foods into your diet. Try to get to a point where you’re proud to list the things you’ve eaten — fruits, veggies and no chips! Go you!
4. Feel the Results The scale isn’t always the best judge of your progress. Actually, since muscle weighs more than fat, you could actually gain weight and fit better in your clothes! That’s why the best way for you to gauge your success is by how you feel running up a flight of stairs or how your favorite clothes fit. Loose? It may be time for some shopping!
5. Help You Help Yourself What ways can you make it easier to pull off your routine? With a little preparation, it will be easy to get a good start. If you work out early in the morning, lay your workout clothes in a special spot so you can get moving quickly. Also, set out a banana and water bottle so you’re starting out on the right foot with good energy and ready to go as soon as you roll out of bed!
6. Ask Your Family and Friends to Support You Tell your family and friends how important your new fitness plan and goals are so that they can be supportive. It’s helpful to have cheerleaders!
7. Be Proud of You No matter how you jumpstart your healthy lifestyle, you should always be proud of yourself. Congratulate yourself on your accomplishments — big and small. You’re making a healthy choice to become an even better you. Now that’s something to smile about :). Get exercise tips and learn how to lead a healthy lifestyle at BeingGirl.com.